Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Who is responsible..?

Myself and my partner rent our house of my Uncle, we have a full tenancy agreement.. Last week our house was broken into, burgulars stole, TV, Laptop, Nintendo Wii, Car Keys and Money, they ransacked my 2 babys bedrooms and our living room... They destroyed the lock on my back door and now it does not open.. My front door has been un-usable for 10 months now (only lockable from the inside, we normally had to access through the back door everyday) and the window was pulled open with a garden rake, and is now only nailed down..



So now when we go out of a day we cannot lock the house up due to the front door not being lockable from the outside, the door can just be pushed open..



I have told all this to my uncle and he has told me he is not willing to pay to get the doors or windows fixed as it is not his fault.. He lives in another country so I can only contact him by telephone..



Who is responsible, am I right in asking him to do the repairs or is it my responsibility..???



Just to clarify, my house does not have double glazing only old withered wood single glazing, and both doors are about 40 years old and when never in great condition to start with..!!



I feel so unsecure now and we have our 2 children aged 1 and 2 to think about, I cant rest and would move house if I could afford it, we have to replace a television, Laptop, Wii, and pay the excess on our car insurance to get car locks changed.. we cant afford to replace doors and windows aswell as do all this..!!Who is responsible..?
He is the landlord, and therefore he is responsible for making the repairs whether it was his %26quot;fault%26quot; or not, unless the damage was caused by your negligence.



Your uncle should be filing on his homeowner's insurance in order to replace the things that were stolen from the house. Since it was vandalism the insurance will also probably pay for the windows/doors/etc to be repaired as well. He needs to contact them ASAP and see what they will do.