Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My 2004 VW Golf came with only one key, which I have now lost...how can I change locks etc as cheaply as poss?

I bought the car 2nd hand from an approved VW dealer, they promised me a second key, but it never transpired. My husband dropped the key in the river accidently whilst out rowing. The dealer has shamefully said they cannot help us as the chassis number does not match the locks as a previous owner changed the locks using a company which has since gone bankrupt. We have a newborn baby and really need access to the car. Anyone know a cheap way of sorting it?My 2004 VW Golf came with only one key, which I have now lost...how can I change locks etc as cheaply as poss?
you done exactly what i done....... i claimed on house insurance, said i lost key ring, containing house,car,padlock keys etc...... they changed all the locks in house, on car and alarm fob, and done it very quick as we have a baby as well as car seat was in carMy 2004 VW Golf came with only one key, which I have now lost...how can I change locks etc as cheaply as poss?
The cheapest way would be to get one cut from an official VW dealer (they order one based on your reg, so I'd bug the dealer that said you'd get one!)

Failing that its a case of ringing round VW scrap yards for a full set of locks, ignition barrel, and keys to match your car, then forking out to get them all fitted. (personally I'd choose the first one)