Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How did they break into my car?

It's a mystery. Here are the facts:



-2006 Hyundai Elantra with stock alarm system (very basic). I use the key fob to lock my doors and set my alarm without fail.



-Wednesday afternoon I had a locksmith at my apartment to change my locks due to a problem we were having with the door knob getting stuck. He was a younger nice guy. He had to run outside to get something from his van and I offered him my keys so he could get back into my apartment building. He was gone but a few minutes. I now realize stupid that was, and trust me I have learned my lesson so no lecturing please! I drove my car after he left and don't remember anything out of the ordinary. I know I locked and armed my car that night.



-Thursday morning nothing was missing or out of the ordinary...although my car doors MAY have already been unlocked and I failed to notice. (I don't recall entirely...I'm a little foggy due to some life changes, I must admit). Then I drove down the freeway and noticed my hood was bouncing up and down. I pulled over to close it all the way, as it was obviously not latched all the way. I have not had my hood popped for any reason recently. Thursday night I lock and arm my car.



Friday morning ALL my doors are unlocked. I get in my car and see that someone had tried to steal my CD player but failed. Three dollars are stolen from the glove box, as well as my ipod from my center console. Yes I had valuables in my car, but they were not within site. It should also be noted that the three dollars and ipod MAY have been stolen Wednesday night, I just hadn't noticed because I didn't open my glove box or console. Also, my hood was NOT popped Friday morning.



It should be noted that I'm pretty sure my car alarm won't arm without the hood closed all the way. Also, I'm not entirely sure how my car alarm works, but if it is armed and I try to open my doors from the inside, the alarm goes off.



For a moment I thought maybe the locksmith had unlocked my car, popped the hood, and disabled the alarm so he could break in easily later. But, I set my alarm that evening.



How did they do it? What part, if any, do you think the locksmith had? How and why was my hood popped? What can I do to protect myself?



It seems to me the people who did it were amateurs...they REALLY tried to get my CD player but failed. If they were in fact amateurs, it scares me how easily someone could gain access to my car without breaking a window or doing any damage whatsoever :(How did they break into my car?
That is pretty crazy. If you left your keys with the lock smith he could have easy made an imprint and had a copy made later on that day. I would change the locks on your house just to be safe. My girlfriend had an elantra and it wasn't to easy to break into. She had locked the keys in it several times and I always had a hard time getting into the car. So I assume that the lock smith probably has a copy of your key now or he may have sold it.How did they break into my car?
He copied the key Wednesday when he was there. Came back Wed night and disabled the alarm and probably tried to take stereo. Maybe something spooked them and they took off ( hood opend to cut power to alarm) They came back Thursday night and tried again to take the stereo.
  • client side script
  • networking
  •