Thursday, September 22, 2011

What should I do, a car dealership broke my engine.?

I took my 2005 sonata into a dealership for a 90000 mile checkup and they suggested I change my timing belt. When the dealership finished and test drove the car the timing belt they installed slipped and locked up the engine. I have never had a problem with the car and now they want to just fix the damage to the motor that never had a problem and give it back. How do I know it will ever be the same.What should I do, a car dealership broke my engine.?
Yeah like everybody else said. It would be better than what you came in with. Dealer parts are always better than salvage, it will probably have less mileage, PLUS THEY HAVE TO WARRANTY THE ENGINE TO SOME DEGREE! TRUST ME HAVE THEM FIX IT, but ask for some type of warranty!What should I do, a car dealership broke my engine.?
sue them. sue the company. your looking at a million dollars here. no jokeWhat should I do, a car dealership broke my engine.?
It won't. I wouldn't settle for that. They broke it they buy it.What should I do, a car dealership broke my engine.?
Probably better than when you took it in. The damage from a timing belt failure is very specific - bent valves and potential damage to pistons. The head (or heads, if you have a V6) has to come off to replace the valves anyway so the pistons will be right there. Usually the pistons just get a bit dinged. This is a remarkably common repair, mostly caused by people failing to change timing belts on schedule. Believe me, they aren't seeing a crashed engine for the first time.

Since you took it to a Toyota dealer they will take the most economical (for them) way to ensure you don't have any more problems. That may mean head replacement or just valve and maybe guide replacement. Either way you can be sure they aren't going to cut corners and risk having a nightmare coming back to them. Once is enough.