Thursday, September 22, 2011

Im changing the A/C compressor in my car. Is there any special details I need to know?

I have a 98 Honda Civic EX. The A/C compressor I have is locked up, so my a/c doesn't work. Im going to get the belt for it now. I'm not sure if I need to depressurize the system before disconnecting the compressor, but I'm not sure how to do this. The manual I have says the receiver-drier should be replaced at the same time, is this a big deal? Thanks for any help.Im changing the A/C compressor in my car. Is there any special details I need to know?
Yes - the system has to be depressurized. The refrigerant can cause frostbite that can require surgery or even amputation, and if it sprays in your eyes it will destroy your corneas in an instant. The only legal way to do it is for the system to be evacuated by a professional, so that the refrigerant is stored. It can be done illegally by depressing the core of either the low or high side schrader valve with a screwdriver (while wearing gloves and goggles). For a seized compressor the receiver/drier has to be replaced because it probably has debris from the compressor floating around in it.



The system has to be evacuated and filled by a professional anyway - you may be money ahead to have him do the entire job. That gets you around the addition of the oil, the evacuation of the system and the introduction of refrigerant into the system - harder than it sounds. I did all my own refrigeration in the old R12 days but not any more since the introduction of R134a and the laws that accompanied it.



Everything is a technicality until something goes wrong.Im changing the A/C compressor in my car. Is there any special details I need to know?
Be careful when depressurizing the system. That sh...tuff is awful sticky and you don't want to breathe it. (unless you're a huffer. just kidding) Other than that it is pretty straight forward stuff. Good luck.Im changing the A/C compressor in my car. Is there any special details I need to know?
you need to take to a shop, to get the freon out it needs to be sucked out by a pump, and yes to warrenty your compressor you will need to change reciever dryer, and orfice or expansion valve.



i do not suggest this for a do it yourself job, to get it working properly the system should also be pulled into a vaccum to make sure there are no other leaks in the systemIm changing the A/C compressor in my car. Is there any special details I need to know?
have to go to the shop and drain the chemicals out in the proper way, and after u replace the compressor, fill it up in the proper way again...

if you dont do it rite, u may be toxicated or even dead...Im changing the A/C compressor in my car. Is there any special details I need to know?
lik some of the others said......your better off taking it to a shop......ive been doing a/c work 25+ yrs and i still git burned sometimes.......also just befor a comp dies it will spit out tiny chunks of metal that can clog the metering device.this needs to be check while the unit is down