Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I lost my sisters car's car key (it was a duplicate). our house key is in the same key ring. what should i do?

what are the odds of burglary in this case? any experiences? i want to know if it is worth all the hassle to change the locks (in both car and house), etc. or if that's even possible. thanksI lost my sisters car%26039;s car key (it was a duplicate). our house key is in the same key ring. what should i do?
If you know 100% that it was just a loss, then don't worry about it. What I mean is that there might be a chance that somebody that knows you swiped them, and will use them at a later date. If you know for sure that you randomly lost them, the odds of a stranger knowing where to use them is very very slim, unless there is a card or any type of tag on your keyring that could trace it to your address like a blockbuster card or kroger card. If that is the case, change your locks.I lost my sisters car%26039;s car key (it was a duplicate). our house key is in the same key ring. what should i do?
no if you have an alarm system in bothI lost my sisters car%26039;s car key (it was a duplicate). our house key is in the same key ring. what should i do?
was there any identifying marks on the key ring? If not, it is pretty slim that a burglar would go door to door trying the keys. So I personnaly wouldn't change all that, plus you should have some sort of insurance (renters, home, auto).I lost my sisters car%26039;s car key (it was a duplicate). our house key is in the same key ring. what should i do?
Do you have any idea where you lost the keys at or when? Was there any identification with the keys? Could someone you know have taken them?



It will get pretty expensive to replace all the locks on the car and the house. I would be more worried about the house than the car though. You should inform your parents of the problem so that they can replace the locks themselves and save some money. You most likely will only have to replace two or three locks on the house.



The car will involve some more work, go to a dealer if her car is a late model with an anti-theft option on it. If it is an older car then you can get away with just going to a locksmith and have him change the tumblers and give you new keys. You will have to change both doors, the trunk, and the ignition and possibly the glove box, if it locks. You might be money ahead if you can find a comparable car in a salvage yard and take all those locks and get the VIN number in case you need to get another key. Good luck.I lost my sisters car%26039;s car key (it was a duplicate). our house key is in the same key ring. what should i do?
It really depends on where they were mistakenly left at and if they had your personal address on them. Since you do not know this then it is probably a good idea to change your locks, just to be on the safe side. If you decide to change your locks I would sign up for a key protection service so if you lose your keys again the company has an address that if found the keys can be dropped in the mail to the company and return safely to you. Some of these companies charge between 10 to 40 bucks a year for this service.



www.nkrs.com

www.lostkeyhelper.com



I wish I knew what else to tell you, good luck.I lost my sisters car%26039;s car key (it was a duplicate). our house key is in the same key ring. what should i do?
Take to dealership, and have ignition rekeyed. No coverage under insurance for that, but if you have comp, or coll there may be coverage for rekeying door locks on car, just not ignition,, then would need to file claim for lost house key to have those redone.I lost my sisters car%26039;s car key (it was a duplicate). our house key is in the same key ring. what should i do?
You can go to the dealer with the vin number and get a new key cut.

as for the house key, use your good judgement. is there anyway for somebody to link the key to your home?