Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I lost my car keys, i got a new one made according to my VIN and it didn't work. What do i do now?!?

I don't have a spare and i bought this car used so the owners before me must have changed the locks so making a new key according to the VIN is not gonna work.I lost my car keys, i got a new one made according to my VIN and it didn%26039;t work. What do i do now?!?
That's hilarious. Your locks are programmed with your vin? I've never heard of that. You'd probably need to get the locks reprogrammed. Otherwise you're going to have to use a brick as a key.I lost my car keys, i got a new one made according to my VIN and it didn%26039;t work. What do i do now?!?
buy a new lock cylinderI lost my car keys, i got a new one made according to my VIN and it didn%26039;t work. What do i do now?!?
Just out of curiosity what vehicle is this?



If the car has central locking (which it most likely does if you have the lockset linked to the BCU) then you will need to get a full lockset replacement.



Best thing to do is take it to a main dealer for the brand of vehicle you drive. They will order the lockset then program it in to the car and you will then have 2 keys again, this will be quite expensive compared to just having to buy a new key that it made to the individual chassis number.



The other option is to speak to the people who had the car before you if you can to see whether they have an invoice that you could get the key ID number.... bit of a long shot though!



Good luck!