Sunday, November 21, 2010

Can I change the car door locks on my 1990 Toyota Celica?

Hi,

I recently bought a 1990 Toyota Celica and the locks are frubared! The driver's side door lock is broken and the passenger side door has a fragment of key stuck in it so I can't use the spare keys in either lock. I have to leave the car unlocked with a club on it. I really want to get the locks replaced, but can I do it, and do I have to change the ignition too? Can I also get a round about price to accomplish this? It has power locks by the way. Any suggestions? I appreciate it!Can I change the car door locks on my 1990 Toyota Celica?
Have locksmith install new lock coded to current keys to replace the broken one and remove the broken key from the other one.Can I change the car door locks on my 1990 Toyota Celica?
You can replace the locks in the doors without replacing the ignition key you will just have two keys instead of one. Replacing the locks in the doors can be done, but it isn't easy. If you know what you are doing it still takes a hour or so for each lock to replace. A shop may charge around 45 to 75 an hour for labor. Not sure on the price of the lock cylinders, if you can find used one it would be cheaper than new ones.Can I change the car door locks on my 1990 Toyota Celica?
Rich man's way: a decent locksmith should be able to re-key your door locks to match your ignition key. However this person's services may not come cheap. In fact this person might be the Toyota dealer, and they might not be able to get those parts anymore.



Poor man's way:

Step 1, find a Pick-n-Pull.

Step 2, find a Toyota that's compatible with yours (might be more than '90 Celicas).

Step 3, see if the ignition key was left in the car somewhere.

Step 4, see if it has as many locks as you need.

Step 5, see if they all work.

Step 6, repeat steps 1-5 until you find a suitable donor car.

Step 7, strip all the locks from all over the car.

Step 8, install all that on your own car.

Done it, works, cheap, but what a pain.Can I change the car door locks on my 1990 Toyota Celica?
You can switch the door locks without having to change the ignition switch, just remember you will need two different keys for the ignition and the doors. Don't worry about your power door locks working as they usually don't differentiate between locks. Just get 2 new door locks so you can lock your car, they shouldn't be to pricey, go to or call several parts stores to get an estimate.Can I change the car door locks on my 1990 Toyota Celica?
i suggest taking it in to a honda dealer to have the door locks removed and the tumbler housings replaced or rekeyed . that and the ignition is not an easy task unless the job go's to a professional that has worked with these cars . if you chose to have someone try to do this that does not have the experience,, damage could be done upon removal. at any rate it wont be cheep . perhaps as much as a few hundred dollarsCan I change the car door locks on my 1990 Toyota Celica?
Changing door locks is a fairly simple operation. Remove door panels with window rolled all the way up remove plastic moisture barrier or just peel it back and tape it out of the way. With flashlight look inside door at the latch mechanism (should be easily visible) you will see 4 rods 2 vertical and 2 horizontal. you need to disconnect the 2 vertical ones, will either just POP in or will have a plastic clip you rotate to disengage from rod then pop rod out. Now feel around up inside and find the door handle from the inside. There will be between 2 and 4 10mm nuts holding handle assembly in place remove them and take door handle and rods out of door now you can see how lock cylinder is attached. remove and replace lock. when you put door latch assembly back in do not OVER tighten those are bolts molded into plastic. if you over tighten the plastic will break and you will need to replace door handle too.



I consider this a good amateur job pretty simple to do not hard to reach or anything and you can see what you are doing. you usually only need a 3 and 2 phillips to remove door panel and a 10mm wrench or socket if there is room.



You will of course have 2 different keys for your car now but that isn't that big a deal, and as someone else said a lock smith can probably fix that if you take him locks before you install them. Will cost ya though lock smiths don't come cheap.



Of course