Thursday, June 2, 2011

Anyone know how to change the lock and the key of my car?

One of the car key was stolen from me today. I am sure because I am always very careful with my keys, checking and rechecking them when I have free time. It is always in my bag, so the only way for it to disappear is that someone stole it.

Maybe I have an obsessive compulsive disorder, but I always have two pairs, maybe three with me, so if one is gone, I have more

So I have no problem unlock my car and drive it home to the garage of my apartment building.

now the car is safe in the garage building because the garage door has its own keys, but not tomorrow when I go to work

The only thing i can do now is to change the key and lock of my car, would it be possible?

If it would, where should I go and who should I contact?

If it wouldn't, what should I do to keep my car from the risk of being stolen tomorrow when I go to work?

By the way, my car is a Nissan Altima

ThanksAnyone know how to change the lock and the key of my car?
Well the very cheapest way really to me is to me either buying a whole set of good used lock assemblies, plus the ignition switch from a big auto wreckers and they'd find you a a set that had at least one key for about 20 to 25 a piece for the lock assemblies and probably 25 to 50 for the ignition.

Once you add the labour of installing all these parts you really need to say 30 mins per door or lock, plus a good 30 mins or less for the ignition.It could be up to over 6 hrs in labour fees.So that be 300 to well over 600 bucks in both parts and labour fees.

The thing is on the older vehicles almost anybody can change such parts so if you've a handy friend I'd highy recommend you go that way bec they can get the parts cheaper if they use a U pick auto wreckers, plus they could install them for you.

I'd call around to the body shops too and compare labor prices and do the same for the parts , then compare that to what a locksmith would charge you.Now if you could find a good locksmith then some of them will allow you to bring the car to them so no on the spot service fees for coming out to you.

It's possible that the locksmith might change the locks or change the cylinder setting and make up a new key.I'd say if they came to you more then likely if no lock assemblies or ignitions are needed maybe they'd charge about 150 to 250 or more depends on their hrly rates etc.

It might be a good idea to find an older locksmith that is semi retired bec they might offer you a better deal due to them having less expenses etc.







Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way if you're dead serious about the missing key etc I'd for sure do some more homework and calling around etc.In some cases with the fancy ignition security systems the key has to match not only the ignition but the main comp or the system needs to be reprogrammed or the vehicle will never start.

One last suggestion try contacting the tow truck companies some of them might not only know someone cheap or they might even have the parts you need in some vehicle in their yards.Anyone know how to change the lock and the key of my car?
You're quite welcome

Report Abuse

Anyone know how to change the lock and the key of my car?
if i were you i'll take it to a locksmith to change the key and locks depeding on you're budget, a locksmith maybe a little cheaper then taking it to a nissan altimaAnyone know how to change the lock and the key of my car?
you can do it yourself go to autozone or something and buy the key with the cylinder, all you got to do is take off the inside of the door and just replace it from the insideAnyone know how to change the lock and the key of my car?
you can contact a locksmith and he'll make you a key in about 20 minutes. Hopefully the person who stole your key doesn't know your car-he'll steal that next! I would suggest you have the entire car re-keyed asapAnyone know how to change the lock and the key of my car?
You would need to take the car to a Nissan dealer to have the lock cylinders changed and new keys made.Anyone know how to change the lock and the key of my car?
sorry but see nissan as they we be be best able to deal with this expensive yes but ...